Saturday, June 28, 2008

Beautiful Savannah....



After 25 years, I finally got to return to Savannah. I lived there in the late 70's/early 80's when I played with the Savannah Symphony. Christy and I got to share a "blast from the past" by visiting some of the places I used to frequent. I was so pleased...we drove into town and I knew exactly where to go. Within minutes, we were at Mrs. Wilkes' Boarding House for lunch! If you aren't familar with Mrs. Wilkes', it is southern cooking personified. Oh my, some of the tastes almost brought tears to my eyes...yes, because it was that good, but because it was a taste that I hadn't experienced since I left Savannah. We drove over to Whitfield Sq. and visited the gazebo where Christy's father and I were married. Nothing looks any different there at all. What did look different was the house where I used to live on Gaston St. It was all grown over and looked kind of unlived in. I took Christy through the back alley to see the courtyard and it was like a fortress had been built there. Very bizarre. We had a wonderful room at the Hyatt on the riverfront which i purchased for an EXCEPTIONAL price on priceline....we walked the riverfront, ate at the Pirate's House and then to top the day off, took a twilight carriage ride through the city. The next day we had some time for shopping and then a visit to the Civil Rights museum. It was a wonderful time.


No comments: