Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Hooray for Hollywood...

Westside style....Monday evening was the 5th grade promotion celebration at my school. This is not something I'd usually write about as I was not all that pleased to be there...not that I have anything against 5th graders being promoted...I just hate giving up an evening!!! Anyway..I was sitting up on the stage where I had a birdseye view of the kids as they came through the curtain after hearing their name and their awards read. Most of the kids looked happy..some kind of embarassed....some were dressed to the 9's....some were dressed very kid appropriate, some were...well, maybe not so appropriate. But one child in particular struck me....she came out on stage, kind of gangly, braces, not a "looker" by the traditional teenybopper standard...by oh my...the look on her face brought me to tears. It had everything combined into one look... She was a combination of innocence, trust, excitement and hope all rolled into one. Her look at that moment was the personification of all that is good in a 5th grade child. It was a look and a moment I will long remember. Definately made it worth giving up an evening.

No comments: