Sunday, August 17, 2008

ah me......

Remember when you were little and it was the night before school started?? You probably had your clothes laid out, and you probably had your little notebook and little pencils ready and maybe a new lunchbox? Fastforward about 45 years or so and here we are...first day for teachers...not for kids. My clothes are NOT laid out...my classroom is totally still stuffed in boxes, I don't have a clue about how I could "decorate" it so that it could look different, but I guess I have a tiny tinge of excitement....just a little one. Because you see, it's a blank slate right now....kind of like that new box of crayons you used to have....and teachers get to reach in that box and pull out whatever color we want and start to draw amazing designs....I think we call that teaching. Yeah, soon enough, those crayons will loose their wrappers and some will break and definately the points will wear down, but right now they are still awfully pretty. It's that hope thing...or optimism or whatever you want to call it. It's knowing that pretty soon you will see excited faces of kiddos, be the recipient of all kinds of hugs; gooey and otherwise, have to wipe some tears and shove some moms out of the door, and see little faces that are maybe a little scared, some with an attitude (how DO they get like that so young)...anyway....the start of a new year. One week of setup, hopefully the meetings will not be too deadly and then off we go. Fall is my favorite time...so many delicious events and holidays to sing about. That's what we do best.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love September! It IS a fresh slate. I love going to the store and my kids picking out fresh new folders and notebooks. Doesn't matter that last year's weren't all used up; this year must have bright new, clean ones!

Anonymous said...

So how did this first week go?