Thursday, September 3, 2009

sept 3 month 2 day 3

I'm contemplating an experiment. Yes...another one!!! Right now, if I had to describe my cupboards, I'd say EMPTY. Nothing good in there at all. So, I started rummaging around in there to see if I could find something for lunch for tomorrow. I looked...and to be honest, it does seem pretty bare....especially the freezer. But....I made myself look harder...and while nothing looks particularily tasty or exciting, the truth is, there IS food there. So, this is what I'm thinking....I have $5 left in my wallet...because I joined PTA....boo...I'm wondering IF I decided to, could I use JUST that 5 dollars to supplement what is in my cupboard, fridge and freezer for a week????? Why would I want to???? I don't know. Just because it is interesting idea. THis will make you laugh....here is the sum and substance of what I have to work with....2 hot dogs, about 6 little pieces of frozen Sesame chicken, about 10 eggs, a bag of frozen vegetables, some pepperoni, some pizza sauce, a pillsbury french loaf (unbaked) some shredded cheese, 1 can of soup, spaghetti and spaghetti sauce, a quart of milk, bread flour, yeast,1/2 stick butter....some easy mac, some taco shells, some refried beans, a can of corn, coffee(YEAH) creamer, oatmeal...lots of oatmeal.... with this, I would need to make 3 meals a day for a week. Interesting, huh???? What to buy with that 5 dollars??????????? My first inclination is hamburger. I love hamburger and I could make spaghetti sauce and maybe a little taco meat to mix in with the refried beans??? But perhaps I can find chicken legs or thighs....that would be fun....because that can be used a bunch of different ways. NOW, ATTENTION....lest you think, I'm broke and I'm doing this because I have to, I'm not. I just think that it might be very, very interesting. So....I think I'm going to do it. I have to make one caveat....I don't think I have enough dog food for the next week, and I really can't ask them to eat oatmeal, sooooooo I will have to pick some up. I think I will do that tomorrow and then the store will be geshlossen....i think that means closed in German. It's been awhile. Stay tuned....I'm going to see what incredibly creative little stuff I can come up with. Ta da......don't worry...I won't invite you over for oatmeal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Robin's Developments said...

Hey, I have a great recipe for baked oatmeal. Do you have some oil? It does call for milk, but you could probably substitute water if you run out of milk. It is really yummy and makes a 9x13 pan. Let me know if you want the recipe. Oh, and I think your idea is great...I am little concerned about you only having one bag of veggies...maybe some fruit or more veggies with your $5? Or even some dried beans-with an onion and some seasonings they are good and cheap and taste good too, if you go in for beans. What's on sale this week?

ramblin-thoughts said...

Food Lion has Perdue bonless tenders on sale... just bought a pack for under 2.00...hmmm now about the other 3.00

Andy and Nancy said...

If you go to allrecipes.com, you can type in an ingredient to see what recipes you can make with it. You may get some ideas.