Saturday, August 1, 2009

A GRAND SOCIAL EXPERIMENT PART I

To any and all who are reading this....I've been away for awhile...both literally and figuratively. Facebook has been my primary mode of communication, but I decided this was too heady and involved to write about in notes on facebook.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....with that said, here goes.

Today is August 1st. For the next month I will spend nothing except on consumables...IE food and medicine and gasoline. (Except for bills of course) I must put in a couple of caveats...1st...remy does have a vet appt in 3 weeks and 2nd I am going to Michigan for a few days and that might mess things up a bit. I also reserve the right to have a screen door put on my back porch if I can find one, get a haircut and I have to get a battery for my blue car. Other than that, the list of prohibited purchases includes but is NOT limited to...clothing...especially clothing, "stuff," (Ollies, I"m sorry...I'm taking a break) nothing for the secret shop, nothing for Logan, no anysoldier stuff, no housewares, nothing on ebay, no electronics, no BOOKS!!!!!...that will be the hardest...I love books...no furniture, no stuff for the house, no ladders, no staplers, no pots and pans, no movies, no BOOKS....did I already say books? No sheets, no blankets, no storage containers, no tools, no spray bottles, no make up, no lotion, no dishes, no musical instruments. WHY????? Because I already have all of that stuff...but I lose it in this insanity of a house and then I buy more. NOT THIS MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!! Money will NOT be spent on any fast food. WHEW.....I think that covers it. I will blog about my progress. You might wonder why part I? Well, because this will lead to part II which is this. Using the concept of reduce, reuse, recycle I intend to transform my house ONLY USING WHAT I ALREADY OWN. No new storage units, no new bookshelves, no new nothing. I am turning myself into a HGTV experiment. When I get to part II, I will post some pics and explain as I go. Should be quite an adventure. OK...that's it for now. I am excited about this...at least for the moment. I'll keep you posted.....

8/1 Day one. This is the day this profound experiment came to me. How and why? I was sitting out in the back on my swing at 7 this morning watching the dogs. It was beautiful....I realized how ungrateful I am for all that I have and how I have been a poor steward of so many things. I'm sooooo very tired of dealing with the same issues over and over....house, money, mess etc. When I was at Westminster this summer, someone said the definition of insanity was to keep doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results. I do that a lot. No comment on my level of sanity or lack there of. I try to "fix" things, especially the mess and myself by buying cures of whatever type i think will work. SOOOOOOOOOO....that is what led to the first step. The money moratorium. Stay tuned......

1 comment:

Andy and Nancy said...

Hooray! As Cliff Huxtable once said to his wife, Claire when she was purchasing stuff at "Ollie's" (or their version on the show) "Claire, we can't afford to save anymore money!" She was justifying all of her purchases by the cheap/sale price. And we all likie purchasing for others, but we have to take care of things at home first. Good for you! Proud of you and holding you accountable! :-)